Saturday, December 15, 2012

Snow, snow, and Christmas is coming!

Working definitely makes time fly by so much faster.  I don't mind but it is just a crazy change and obviously I'm not used to it.  I need to update more!
After the last post I had a girls night with a few of my mom friends.  We went to a wine boat extravaganza.  Basically at least 10 big double decker boats docked in Zürich with wines from all around.  You pay 20chf and taste wine as long as you want until they close.  It was a lot of fun just hanging out.
That weekend we went on a smaller hike that had jokes every so often to read.  Of course they were written in Swiss German (which is not even a formal written language) so it was pretty impossible for us to understand any of them.  It would have been a beautiful hike too if the fog had lifted and hadn't made it SO much colder than we expected.  A bit disappointing but the fall colors were still really pretty and Jakob loves hiking days.
Next big gathering was Thanksgiving.  Although we did it on Saturday when everyone could come and we could have it at the normal time.  We helped host it at a friend's place and did the turkey, 2 sweet potato casseroles (so we could hope for leftovers), and pumpkin pie.  At some point there were over 20 people there and we had so much food and good company.  It was definitely a success.  Jakob was actually sick with a super high fever so he didn't eat and slept through a lot of it.  He never has been able to eat at Thanksgiving so far.  Last year was his terrible HUS scare (I really can't believe it's already been a whole year) and he was so sick he couldn't eat anything (before we knew it was serious) and this year a >104 fever which always takes away his appetite.  Poor guy.  Maybe next year!
So Paul has had to stay home with Jakob a lot because of ear infections and fevers.  He has been a great dad stepping up and being the house dad so I can get settled at work.  And now Jakob got sick again with a stomach bug.  He was throwing up everything including liquids and my poor dad had to help with it all.  We were holding bowls for him, wiping his mouth and cleaning it up all the apartment and bed when he'd miss the bowls.  So gross but I think my dad and I washed our hands enough and were strong enough that we missed the bug.  Hopefully.  Jakob went to daycare Friday but still hasn't gotten back 100%.  He's got a few more days.  :)
Oh, and a couple weekends ago we were walking through a store and found a reasonably price fake mini Christmas tree and snatched it up.  I love it!  We brought it home, set it up on our side/coffee table and immediately started decorating it with some cheap decorations I had from a couple years ago and a few new ones.  Jakob was so interested and loved putting on the ornaments but his favorite part is definitely turning on the lights.  Every time he comes home from 'school' he thinks it's his job to turn them on and half of the time he is in awe saying 'WOWWW'.  I love him.  :)  I found some stockings and hung those up too.  We also decided he was finally outgrowing his winter jacket since the sleeves were getting too short.  We found one at H&M and the next day tons of snow decided to pour.  We made Sunday a snow day and we all went out bundled up.  It took him a little bit to warm up to touching and walking in it but eventually he was having a blast.  Definitely feels a lot like Christmas!
And this is a stromboli that I made from a German friend's recipe.  It made sooooo much that we really couldn't eat it all but it was so delicious especially right out of the oven.  It takes some time to make it just because you have to let it rest and then come back and do stuff and then let it rest some more.  But it was so worth it and I think we'll try to make it for Christmas eve.  It was supposed to be for another party we were going to but it got canceled at the last minute and I still wanted to make it.  :)
Last weekend we headed to a HUGE Christmas market in Bremgarten on Saturday and it was SOOO cold.  It took awhile to get there and once we did we didn't stop long to shop since everything was outside.  Decisions were made quick and we put a dent in our Christmas shopping and headed back after 2 hours.  By then our fingers and toes were frozen (even with huge snow boots) and Jakob refused to wear his mittens.  I even bought some fun ones while we were there thinking maybe having his fingers exposed would warm him up to idea but nope.  Mittens are still evil to him.  Krippe says every kid is like that so hopefully he'll just grow out of this soon.  There's too much snow and ice to not be wearing mittens!  And a couple weeks ago we got Jakob a Like-a-bike for Christmas but unfortunately he still needs to grow about 1 more inch.  Then it'll be a perfect fit.  Of course I couldn't wait til Christmas to give it to him!  We got him some legos and a wooden work bench also but that will definitely wait til we get back from the states.  :)
Then Sunday me and Jakob dropped off Paul at the airport and picked up my dad 20 min later.  It worked out so perfectly.  He's been helping me with Jakob especially when he got sick and couldn't go to krippe.  I have so much work to do at work that I really needed to finish these last few days of the year.  So I really couldn't have done it without him.  I'm still so tired so I will definitely be catching up on my sleep over the holidays.  Jakob's been having terrible night terrors that make him scream and cry so hard multiple times in the night but if I go to him they get worse.  So luckily since I'm sleeping in his room I can just talk to him from my bed and usually it helps.  But between that and jumping up to catch vomit in a bowl, on my shirt, in my hands (wherever really!) many times in the night and then leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark... I'm just so tired.  Only 2 more days til our flight leaves!!

No comments: