Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hello husband!

What a great weekend!  I came home from work on Friday to my long lost husband!  Very nice to have him back home but we were exhausted and had to go to bed pretty early.  This was good because it allowed us to get up at a decent hour and head over to the market!  We bought yummy fruits and vegetables (well, I picked them out and Paul did the talking), went to the grocery for a couple more things and headed home to relax and get ready to go swimming.  Unfortunately, we never made it to the lake or river before it started raining.  So we had a very nice and relaxing afternoon in the coolness of the pre-storm breeze.  We also remembered we have no beach towels and Im pretty sure I meant to put them in our suitcases when we moved here and just never did.  A couple weeks ago we saw some in the store FOR 50 FRANCS EACH!  I said heck no and hopefully we'll get someone to bring us ours when they come visit.

I researched cloth diapers all afternoon and think I have almost come to a conclusion.  Having to share the one washing and drying machine makes cloth diapering a little more challenging especially when it takes over an hour per cycle but our neighbors do it and so can we!  I just can't bring myself to consistently use disposables for environmental and economical reasons.  It's been said that blowouts are a thing of the past when cloth diapering... hope it's true!

Later that night we headed over to one of the new PhD student's place for dinner- more like a FEAST.  She and her boyfriend cooked us and a few other girls from Paul's group an authentic Italian dinner with stuff from their home towns.  Supposedly when Italians have guests it's polite to cook tons of food and just STUFF them because then it's polite to eat what you're given.  Holy cow.  After cheese and bread for starters and the first (huge) course of yummy shrimp pasta I was full but that was the beginning.  Then there was salad (with more meat), baked cheese (with more meat), and then amazing chocolate cake and ice cream AND then biscotti.  For drinks, everyone (but me) went from wine and beer to dessert wine to dip the biscotti in and then a super strong (30%) lemon liquor that smelled so good.  Coffee could have been in there too but that one was able to be declined.  ;)  The food was so good and we were so stuffed and they gave Paul and I a lot of pointers on what we should see in Italy.  There's a lot to see so maybe next summer we can head that way.  We left there so late that the bus quit running and we had to walk about 20 min home.  Not exactly ideal but at least it wasn't raining, super cold, or snowing!

This morning we ordered our stroller!  A lady on a forum I use told me about this awesome website to order baby stuff from.  It is based in Germany but they ship to Switzerland and their prices are amazing.  We bought a Teutonia (German) stroller, with a soft bassinet, and fleece inlay for about 500 Euros.  We'll get charged a fee for the euros transaction from our credit card people, then charged at Swiss customs for taxes and a handling fee, and then a couple shipping fees from the website but it will all still come out to be at least 500 CHF cheaper than if we bought it from a store in Switzerland or bought it in Germany but had to travel to get to it.  Heck yes!  All for one amazing stroller in the colors and wheels of my choice.  If it is amazing as I believe and have seen it to be, it will be with me and all of my kids for the rest of my life.

Next order will be everything we need for cloth diapering.  I plan to have everything ordered by the time people start visiting us in 3 weeks!  yay!  :)  Hopefully, that will include new birth certificates for Paul and I, maybe another marriage certificate, and anything else needed to obtain a birth certificate and passport when baby time rolls around.  Time is already going by so fast and it's only going to get faster once people start visiting soon.  I am so freakin excited though!  Sorry no pictures but I'll definitely try for some next time!

No comments: